Swimming in the pool, starting up the barbecue, cool refreshing drinks, great friends, kids, and at night maybe the hot tub. Back yard affairs are just a wonderful time to be had.
You want to keep the ambiance of your back yard your with friends happy and safe, here are a few reminders:
- When you buy your home or put in or put up a pool, you should advise your Insurance Company for liability reasons.
- Ask for the highest liability you can get on your home insurance policy.
- Keep anything a child could climb up away from your fence.
- A fence of at least 4 ft. It should be put up around the pool with a locked gate. If you have a huge yard with a fence, it doesn’t hurt to put an additional fence around the pool itself. You don’t have access to your neighbors yard or anything a child could climb up over.
- There should always be an adult present when there are children in your yard or around the pool.
- Preferably, if one of the neighbors children are over in the pool, you should make it a rule that one of their parents be there to watch them. It is hard to watch 5 or 6 kids in the water. You do not want that responsibility.
- Children should always have water wings or small life jacket while near in the pool.
- Advise your insurance company if you have a hot tub in your yard. The safety rules for tubs are the same as the pools, however they have the lids which, if a child falls in, you might not even realize they are in there.They need to be locked.
INSURANCE – WATER FEATURES
Water features are especially a delight to those little tykes, it is to easy for a child to fall in. For the most part, they are not deep, but they are a hazard to a small child. It may be an idea to advise your Insurance Company about having one in the yard.
Many people wont tell the insurance company they have a pool or hot tub because it is just going to cost them more money and they can’t afford it. If you can’t afford it, refusing to disclose a pool or pond could void out your insurance. If you think of the millions you could have to pay on your own if sued, an extra AED 100 or so doesn’t sound to bad.
Each year there are countless children who drown tragedy in the family pool. It happens in seconds. Have your family take CPR classes to make your environment stays safe. Take any CPR course and they will tell you to keep directions handy near a pool, just in case something happens and you need to know.
You can talk to Alfred at InsuranceMarket and your personal shopper will have your swimming pool or water feature added to your home insurance policy.