Bringing you yet another addition to the series, I will be explaining just one term ‘Breakdown Recovery’, but in great detail considering that many of my clients do not take full advantage of this service, perhaps because they are not aware of the benefits of this cover can offer.
In a nutshell, breakdown recovery means the services that the insurance company offers to recover your car if it breaks down and needs mechanical repairs whether on the spot or at the garage. Some insurance companies even offer this cover as a standalone for a small price along with the Third Party Liability insurance, if you choose not to go ahead with the comprehensive motor insurance in which it is included anyway. This cover offers the following benefits to the insured:
- Towing service: if your car stops in the middle of the journey, just does not start and requires mechanical repairs/servicing, then the insurance company will provide towing service at no cost to the nearest garage. Equally if the insured car is involved in an accident, the car will be towed anywhere within the city.
- Battery charge: If the battery of the insured car has ‘died’, the insurance company will either provide the recharge facility to get your car up and running or will provide the towing service to the nearest garage free of charge.
- Flat tyre change: Given that an inflated tyre is available with the insured at the time of the breakdown, the insurance company will provide the facility to change the tyre if you, as an insured, do not know how to change it yourself or have no tools to do it. However, if the inflated tyre is not available then the car will be towed to the nearest garage free of cost.
- Petrol delivery: If your car has run out of fuel, the insurance company will provide emergency fuel to help you get to the nearest petrol station. Even though this service itself is free of charge, the fuel costs however will have to be paid by the insured.
- Locked out service:The insurance company will try and open the lock if you are locked out of your car under the supervision of the authorities.
- Desert recovery service: This recovery service is only available if you own a 4×4 and your car is stranded in a desert.
- Registration services: If an insured needs to re-register the vehicle, then the insurance company will pick up the car from the location requested and finish off the registration to provide the convenience to the insured. The insured will have to make the appointment with the insurance company to utilise this service.
- Mechanical repairs: If your car does not start, the insurance company will take care of the minor mechanical repairs to get your car back on the road as soon as possible. Note that the insurance company will not be able to offer any spare parts towards to repairs of your vehicle.
- International driving license:Some insurance companies also offer an international driving license to the insured as an add-on service for a small charge.
- Off road recovery: If your car is stuck off road, the insurance company will provide the facility to bring it back on the road. You can also be towed to the nearest garage if it needs repairs.
Well that is it for now. I hope that you will now use as much of these free services as possible and relieve yourself from such bothersome tasks if your car ever breaks down. Ask your insurance companies or brokers to give you the road assistance number (if they haven’t already!) and keep it with you at all times – You never know when it can come handy!
Series 4 is on its way!
[Image source: samochody.org.uk]